Saturday, May 8, 2010

A shift

I'm not sure who really comes here, but, if you do, then maybe you are interested in pondering with me how life grows and evolves. There is the yearning - dreams are good (I always get that Happy Feet song playing in my head when I think that 'You got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna make a dream come truuuue'), and there is a time for finding motivation in reaching, stretching...

But, it seems to me, there is a little-talked-about consolidation time that is required, once dreams come. My dreams have come true: I have two healthy, happy, fun, loving, delicious children, a cute puppy, a sunny house in the 'burbs with a fenced section and 'good bones', a loving, intelligent, handsome husband with a sense of humour that always makes me laugh (even when I'm grumpy), and supportive, thoughtful extended family. I am a TEACHER!! I have a career - and I can do things with this training that can (do?) positively influence the children of today who are our adults/society of tomorrow. For this, I am deeply grateful.

It's the living of the dream that is causing me to stumble a little. (OK, a lot, just at this time) There are plenty of 'yeah, buts' going on... I am living my dream FULL STOP Yeah, but how do I fit in the exercise I need to be healthy in my head so I don't be grumpy to the children (at home, in class). Yeah, but how do I get reflection time to make the connections between the learners (all 23 of them) and their next steps, then put that in my planning, in an interesting way so that I appeal to all learning styles... yeah, but, how do I make do all this and make sure we have enough healthy food to get us through the week.

One idea is systems - routines, systems for EVERYTHING. You must know, you might feel it yourself, that resistance. I want the JUICEY-NESS of life not the routines. yet, I am wondering if that's how one gets to the juice - by ways of taking care of the mundane.

Any words of wisdom from out there in Blogland? Voices of experience who have tried this and found a better way? or, have I stumbled on a pearl of wisdom that I should write down for Emma and Ciaran when they are wondering the same things?

I would LOVE to hear from you :o) Cheryl

2 comments:

Ahipara Girl said...

hello sweet cheryl. i am at best a stumbler through life and acknowledging that, as long as i don't harm myself or others in my stumbling, then so far so good. if in my lurching state, i am able to sprinkle some love seeds around and grow some people along the way, then as far as i am concerned, that is success. the rest as u say are mundane details. and how we get to our destinations is a matter of personal choice. i try things and if they don't work, i change them. i look around me and for the most part folk who matter are happy with the way i treat them and the impact i have on their lives. and when that happens, i have the immense satisfaction of knowing that i have done my part well. i resist routine but thats only because for the most part, i puddle along and i live a life that suits that pace. if i had more on, then perhaps i would have to create a structure or two to make sure we don't come unhinged or lose anyone along the way. u have much to be proud of. u have achieved much and u have a story that is inspiring. thank you for sharing it with us all. x

Cheryl said...

Rachelle, thank you for this gift of enoughness. We do need reminding that we are all doing our best, in our own way every day. I hope to see you in person soon.